Re: sketchbooks and observation skills

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 05:43:35 PST

It's my opinion that sketchbooks, when used outside of class, should be
personal and self-motivated. My opinion is based on the experience of the
headache of "making" students keep a sketchbook in high school, and the joy
of "letting" students keep a sketchbook in elementary. Now, I do agree that
observational drawing is very important, and I would encourage it through
modeling and talking about how interesting and helpful it is. If you have
students do alot of observational drawing in class so that they get
comfortable with it, I think they will either do more of it outside of
class, or they will learn from it, and use it in their imaginative drawings.

Leah