Re: perspective for 5th grade, thinking or not taught?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 05:21:50 PST

Aaron - actually, this came directly from the woman who is involved with out
state math assessment. The state math assessment asks for students to
measure to the "x" inch, and so we need to ensure that our students know how
to measure up to that amount, and they need to know it well. The theory is
is that once they thouroughly understand 1/2" then you can teach 1/4", then
1/8", etc. I for one am going to try it. I taught my middle school students
how to cut a matt yesterday and they got this "DUH" look on their faces when
I brought out the rulers. I got the "but this is ART class, how come we have
to do math?" questions, and of course I explained what we were doing and how
much it costs locally to have someone cut that matt for you. I am always
amazed at how frustrated students get when we ask them to measure. I hope
this answers your question - obviously the idea is that K-2 students learn
to measure to the 1/2" mark, 3-4 to the 1/4", and advance them from there.
~Michal
K-12 Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> michael,
> i'm wondering how effective the ruler strategy will be with
> "simplifying" the marks. the problem i forsee is that students will be
> used to using a simple ruler and be presented in a test with a different
> ruler and be confused...what do you think?

---