RE: sketchbooks and observation skills

---------

From: Rebecca Stone-Danahy (RebeccaStoneDanahy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 03:14:59 PST

Dear Dawn,
You are not asking too much! Sixth graders are vary capable observers and should be able to meet this requirement in the sketchbook. Sometimes, it takes low grades to emphasize to the students that you are following through on the requirement! After a while, the expectation isn't even questioned anymore.

In my sketchbook requirements (highschool), I give A pluses to those students who do all of the observational drawings and who go above and beyond and include imaginary work as well (it counts as "extra"). Are you giving specific assignments that clearly spell out what the student is supposed to do?

Good luck,
Becky in NC