Re: sketchbooks and observation skills

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 03:07:47 PST

I think they are both important. In high school, as they prep their portfolios observational drawing should hold a priority, but I would suggest you mix in assignments based on both observation and imagination.
I also think drawing from memory is important, too, with a distinctly different set of skills than drawing from observation and from imagination.
And to further complicate my response, I think sketchbook assignments combining all three would be great training and lots of fun, too. For example, draw a small object from memory, by studying it carefully then putting it away before beginning to make a realistic drawing of it. Then draw a hand from direct observation in a position logical for holding the object. Then create a background from imagination.
Mark
 dawn stien <dawnstien@yahoo.com> wrote:Hi all-

This may seem quite obvious to most of you, but I'm
debating about whether or not to require that
sketchbooks for 6th grade should be based on
observation versus imagination.

I know that most art schools are looking for drawing
from life in high school portfolios, but is now the
time to start pushing this?

I have been stressing the importance of routine
practice to improve drawing skills since most of them
have stated that they want to become more successful
with their drawing skills.

95% did not take this to heart this 6 weeks. The
sketchbooks are clever and very imaginative though.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be asking if deep down I
didn't feel like they should be OBSERVING, plus TEKS
say they should be observing. Am I asking too much?
Not enough? Maybe I should ask for half and half?

As always,
I appreciate your feedback - Dawn