Re: sketchbooks and observation skills

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 19:12:28 PST

I always try to balance my assignments - one week I'll assign an observation
drawing, the next I assign an imaginative one. Week 3 is always devoted to
an article review. I just started this and the kids are amazed at how much
art is happening around them locally! :-) I don't give credit to those who
don't look at anything when they draw their observation drawing.
~Michal
K-12 Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> This may seem quite obvious to most of you, but I'm
> debating about whether or not to require that
> sketchbooks for 6th grade should be based on
> observation versus imagination.
>
> On the other hand, I wouldn't be asking if deep down I
> didn't feel like they should be OBSERVING, plus TEKS
> say they should be observing. Am I asking too much?
> Not enough? Maybe I should ask for half and half?

---