Re: perspective for 5th grade, thinking or not taught?

---------

From: Aaron Hopkins (hopkiaar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 06:11:58 PST

michael,
i'm wondering how effective the ruler strategy will be with
"simplifying" the marks. the problem i forsee is that students will be
used to using a simple ruler and be presented in a test with a different
ruler and be confused...what do you think?
aaron

>>> whest177@wheatstate.com 02/09/03 11:08AM >>>
We recently had an inservice where we were taught how to analyze our
data
(we're abit behind times). We knew that our scores weren't what we
wanted
but didn't know what we needed to do to improve them. The lady that
talked
to us spoke about rulers. It was interesting as she told us that when
we
have students bring in thier own rulers that this can confuse the
students
because they don't all start at the same spot. The next variable is
that
there are so many lines that many students get frustrated. So, we made
laminated rulers out of tagboard (mine are all 18" long). For my
primary
students they are only marked off at every 1/2". For 3rd - 6th we have
them
marked at every 1/4". Since the state doesn't test any smaller than
this we
are focusing on what they need to know. I have found using rulers SO
much
easier since I began using them! Our hope is that if they have a solid
foundation with these then they will be able to understand when we add
a few
more lines.
~Michal
K-12 Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> What Pattiy said about not knowing basic skill, like how to use a
ruler
> and read a thermometer, struck a cord with me. I know my students
have
> been introduced, even drilled on how to use a ruler in math and how
> read a thermometer in science, but they do not get the connection
that
> these are skills to be used outside of these classes. My students
seem
> to compartmentalize all their learning, the door shuts on their mind
for
> those skills that they most relate to one subject or they learned in
one
> room. I feel I am in a constant struggle for them to see the whole
of
> their experiences. Could this also be in part an age related problem
or
> complete lack of thinking skill experience?
> Ellen Silverman

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---