Scratch Foam Printing Board Tip

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 17:05:25 PST

In a message dated 02/10/2003 7:26:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
nwalkup@dentonisd.org writes:

> When the drawing is complete, have students tape it to the foam board with
> masking tape and then trace over their drawings with pencil. Have them next
> remove the paper drawing and trace over the drawing again with a dull
> pencil to make the lines wider and deeper.

I also have my students draw on newsprint with pencil first. After taping
their drawings to the foam board they use a BALLPOINT PEN to trace over their
pencil lines. I find that using a pen makes it easier for them to see what
lines they might have missed when tracing over the pencil drawing. Also,
while the pen will rip through the paper when pressure is applied, it doesn't
rip through the foam plate. The point on the pen is just wide enough and
rounded enough to make consistantly good marks on the foam. Another plus is
that the kids don't have to go over their lines on the plate a second time
after they have removed their original newsprint drawing.
Hope this helps....Susan on Long Island (where we just had the most exquisite
and inspiring snowfall!)

---