sketchbooks and observation skills

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 18:17:11 PST

Hi all-

This may seem quite obvious to most of you, but I'm
debating about whether or not to require that
sketchbooks for 6th grade should be based on
observation versus imagination.

I know that most art schools are looking for drawing
from life in high school portfolios, but is now the
time to start pushing this?

I have been stressing the importance of routine
practice to improve drawing skills since most of them
have stated that they want to become more successful
with their drawing skills.

95% did not take this to heart this 6 weeks. The
sketchbooks are clever and very imaginative though.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be asking if deep down I
didn't feel like they should be OBSERVING, plus TEKS
say they should be observing. Am I asking too much?
Not enough? Maybe I should ask for half and half?

As always,
I appreciate your feedback - Dawn