Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 17:57:35 PST

        This is not art related, but since so many of you know so much
about history, I thought you might be able to help.
        We are evaluating a district reading test. One of the sections
was about Chief Joseph and the Nez Perce. Do we know for sure that the
Surrender Speech was actually given by Chief Joseph, or is it something
that has been pulled out of context?
         One of our major problems with the test so far is that there
are several historical or scientific inaccuracies told as truth, and we
are already having to re-teach and persuade the students that the
"information" on the test was incorrect or over simplified. I've been
given the task of locating correct and/or more detailed information
about the "social studies" passages to send with our evaluation. I would
appreciate any leads you could send my way. Sincerely, Kimberly Herbert

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert

---