Re: NAEA Convention

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 12:50:33 PST

holmgren wrote:

> I have a question for those of you have been to NAEA conventions. First,
> is the conference agenda that came out several months ago pretty
> accurate, or will there be something new when you get there?

Yes, the schedule you've already received is accurate. There are always
a few presenter cancellations at the last minute but otherwise you can
trust it. I don't ever remember seeing something new added.

> Also, I
> have noticed that except for the hands on worshops, many of the
> presentations seem to be 25 minutes long. Can much really be
> accomplished in just 25 minutes?

You'd be surprised at how much info you can glean in that amount of
time. Obviously, there are not going to be any hands-on activities like
at some of the 50-minute presentations.

> Also, I'm assuming the hands-on workshops fill up really quickly--like,
> probably are already full.? Is it ever possible to sign up for any of
> these at the conference itself?

You're right, the ticketed events fill up very quickly. It's highly
unlikely there would be any slots left in any of them if you register at
the convention. Your best bet is to post a sign on the bulletin board
that's always there asking to buy a ticket; if you're willing to pay a
bit more than the ticket cost originally you might have some nibbles.
People are always selling tickets so check the board daily. If that
fails, it's sometimes possible to lurk in the hallway outside the
meeting rooms and ask the presenter if you can purchase a no-show's
ticket. Some presenters may have extra materials for desperate people
and will be glad to take your money. I just hope they do the right
thing and turn the money in to NAEA!

The conference is a lot of fun, and will pique your interest and keep
you motivated 'til the end of the school year. It's well worth it.

Maggie

---