foam scratchboard

---------

From: Alexandra Viola (alexandraviola_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 05:52:06 PST

I use foam scrathboard for printmaking with the little kids, k and first. I
have them draw on a half sheet with a pencil or ball point pen to keep the
cost down. Pen is good because they can see the lines and it makes a deep
impression (plus they love pens). I demonstrate the process from making a
plate to printing to get them excited. We don't bother with a sketch first,
but we do brain strom for good ideas. I stress the importance of no names
and letters and simply say they will be backwards. We use printing ink in
the mixing colors or shades and tints. We display the best print, and
sometimes the plate with it, they are so beautiful! Any scraps (81/2 x 12)
could be cut up and used to make 3D pop outs.