re: Scratch Art Scratch Foam printing board...a disappointment

---------

From: holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 18:34:04 PST

I have used the scratch art foam for printmaking with elementary kids for
years. I have them cut pieces of the foam and glue them to a tagboard
background (pieces can be next to each other, but not overlapping.) Then
they create additional details using pencils on the foam pieces. I
always use speedball printing ink, don't know if that makes a difference,
but have always had great luck with it. My favorite project using this
is with first graders. I read them the story "The Big Orange Splot".
Then they each create their own dream house with the foam pieces. The
next week they do the printing. As well as printing on several 9" x 12"
sheets of construction paper, they each print on a large sheet of roll
paper. They do it in whatever order they get to it--usally there ends up
being perhaps three or four large sheets of roll paper. (I draw a
horizontal line on the bottom 2/3 of the sheet, so the houses are pretty
much lined up at the same level). The next week, they use markers and/or
crayons and create neighborhoods for their houses. It is a great
cooperative learning excercise, because they need to make group decisions
with the children whose houses are on their "streeet". I also have them
use the foam printboards. I have them color in any negative spaces with
oil pastel (they shouldn't color on the foam pieces, as the ink will come
off). These are then mounted on construction paper. The whole project
takes 3-4 weeks, and each student ends up with several prints, a very
colorful printboard, and some exciting group murals. I have done the
same sort of project using tagboard pieces, as well, but especially for
the little ones, the foam pieces print up much nicer.

Mary H.

>the foam printing surface from Scratch Art.....>Wondering
>if any have tried this stuff and had some success they could share?

>Now I wish the foam would come in 8 1/2 x 11 instead of 9 x 12. Anyone
>have any ideas on what to do with 8 1/2 x 1 pieces of this foam? It would
>be nice to hear from those who have used this material in some other way.

---