Re: Video: Mobiles How to Create Them - excellent

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 13:15:12 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "Judy Decker" <jdecker@woh.rr.com>
> I just previewed this video today: "Mobiles How to Create Them" with Tomothy
> Rose (Crystal Productions - about 35 minutes long). It was excellent. He
> takes you step by step how to create three different types of mobiles and
> gives some background information on Calder as well. I recommend this for
> middle school thru high school. For middle school, you might want to limit
> the kids to just one type (make it easier on yourself too). You could
> probably show the whole video to high school --then use it as review as
> needed if kids need to see a certain type over again. I would recommend you
> watch this video yourself first and do some of the bends right along with
> Tim (pause the video as you go along) so you will be more comfortable
> demonstrating to kids that need additional help. He uses cardboard and wire
> and basic tools (pliers and wire cutters) -- shows how to plan and layout a
> design - how to balance and how to attach (including making your own jump
> rings). I can see this being done with tooling foil shapes (painted or
> colored with permanent markers).
> Judy Decker
**************************

To add to Judy's video assessment, I like to say that I thought the
video...while excellent...seemed like a 2-hour version (grin). I LITERALLY
fell asleep on the couch while previewing it. The best part is the beginning
but it does tend to drag halfway through and at the end. His voice becomes a
monotone so don't plan on showing the whole thing to your class..unless
you've got a bad class and you WANT them all asleep. But to be fair...I
don't generally like classroom videos anyway except for one or two
exceptions. This video is a "must-buy" if you're into mobiles...best I've
seen yet...but it's still not perfect. Am I opinionated or what?!
Toodles....Bunki

---