Re: politics

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 10:36:43 PST

for me, it is very important to have the opportunity to share political ideas on this list.
as a public high school art teacher whose students express on a daily basis their fear of war, as a government employee whose job is directly affected by political decisions, and as believer that study of context (time, place, culture) is essential to understanding artworks, it is hard for me see how politics ISNT a "matter of art and education".
many of the political posts have been explicitly about the connection between art, education, and politics. my students had terrific discussions about the covering of guernica - i am tremendously grateful for that post and the sharing of ideas and learning it inspired at my school. and dressing for peace (mine) - isn't that visual expression? also, the subject headings on these topics have been very clear, so it seems like it would be pretty easy to delete those that are not appealing.
wendy
 "Never Doubt That A Small Group Of Thoughtful Committed Citizens Can Change The World; Indeed It's The Only Thing That Ever Has." Margaret Mead