Re: politics

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 09:38:03 PST

There are plenty of opportunities for me to alienate
individuals just through misunderstandings and
differences in teaching appraoches, without involving
national politics.

I have drafted plenty of unsent responses in the past
couple of weeks. I have a brother who writes speaches
for the "dumb monkey" Colin Powell. My father is
highly involved in search and rescue and was searching
for some of the "top secret" stuff from Columbia - in
fact, there is top secret stuff to find, not because
it involves hypocricy with nuclear testing, but is a
matter of public safety.

HOWEVER,
Regardless of my political convictions, or lack of
them, art and politics do go hand in hand.

Think of the Oath of the Horatii, Rape of the Sabine
Women, and the fantastic images of the French
Revolution. There is a important history of artists
dealing with politics and the emails sent have a
tendency to make me rethink what I should be teaching
to meet the immediate needs of my students. Maybe
Franciso Clemente's self portraits done in protest
each day of the Gulf War are more significant than
Claude Monet's Field of Poppies or trying to figure
out where to fit MC Escher's tesselations into my
"curriculum".

Recently someone mentioned a president project, I
couldn't help think of the bobble head projects
domeone did last spring and how some our current
leaders seemed to be babbling and bobbling on and on.
I probably wouldn't have thought of that without the
configuation of emails that came from the list.

PLUS
You can always hit delete. I do. Often.

Dawn