Re: State Deficits and Opportunity for Charter Virtual Schools...

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 08:37:45 PST

>"Most students ride the bus - their parents are at
> work. We have to have in-school suspension because
> parents will not assume responsibility for their
> children for 2 days.

well...we as teachers know the cause behind most of our discipline problems,
so it is natural to by cynical about this. I am too...

Obviously, if the kids were getting the discipline at home, we'd not be in
this situation now.

I understand some parents are team teaching this virtual thing. They are
building little computer station rooms where about a dozen kids at a time
could work together and parents taking turns attending and monitoring.

Again...though, my concern is that 40% retirement that is coming and the
vacated positions for which there will seem few qualified individuals to
fill. Something to deal with the immediate problem efficiently will be
necessary...and I think that will likely come by technology.

Some point to the great amount of money freed up of higher level salaried
people suddenly gone for entree level people. Here's another scenario-
what if there are so few people available to replace those lost people that
it becomes a bargaining issue? Say a math candidate is considering your
school....but another district waits to hear what your district offers to
pay him. They offer him $3,000 per year more. Another districts ups that
by another $2,000 and so on.

Then others say the universities will catch up once the problem becomes
apparent, and this might be a major deficit for about 4 years.
Okay...that's still 4 years....

Larry S.

---