Re: State Deficits and Opportunity for Charter Virtual Schools...

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 08:26:15 PST

>"they are currently looking at going from a superintendent and 2
> principals to 2 administrators total"

Our principal was forced to teach 6th grade this year for a teacher getting
cancer treatments, and now she will be taking early retirement. He might be
getting pushed out...since his contract says "principal"...and the
superintendent's been assuming those responsibilities as have some teachers.

>"We are also researching going to a 4
> day week, ~Michal

A local school near us has gone to that as a last ditch effort. I'd be all
for it...heck I stay late most days anyway. Ten hour days, means one day
the cooks aren't getting paid, food not getting dished out, buses aren't
running, the building's heat and energy sources can be cut down, and
janitorial staff not working. The thing is...some employers of high
schoolers might see it as an opportunity to give a kid more hours....so,
that would have to be regulated, or the extra study time over an extended
weekend would suffer. Of course...in our area of a national forest and poor
priorities of parents (many who are in their 40's going on 17 themselves),
the kids would be given more snowmobiling and ice fishing time...and still
somehow not have their homework done.

Larry S.

---