Re: perspective for 5th grade, thinking or not taught?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 08:08:11 PST

We recently had an inservice where we were taught how to analyze our data
(we're abit behind times). We knew that our scores weren't what we wanted
but didn't know what we needed to do to improve them. The lady that talked
to us spoke about rulers. It was interesting as she told us that when we
have students bring in thier own rulers that this can confuse the students
because they don't all start at the same spot. The next variable is that
there are so many lines that many students get frustrated. So, we made
laminated rulers out of tagboard (mine are all 18" long). For my primary
students they are only marked off at every 1/2". For 3rd - 6th we have them
marked at every 1/4". Since the state doesn't test any smaller than this we
are focusing on what they need to know. I have found using rulers SO much
easier since I began using them! Our hope is that if they have a solid
foundation with these then they will be able to understand when we add a few
more lines.
~Michal
K-12 Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> What Pattiy said about not knowing basic skill, like how to use a ruler
> and read a thermometer, struck a cord with me. I know my students have
> been introduced, even drilled on how to use a ruler in math and how to
> read a thermometer in science, but they do not get the connection that
> these are skills to be used outside of these classes. My students seem
> to compartmentalize all their learning, the door shuts on their mind for
> those skills that they most relate to one subject or they learned in one
> room. I feel I am in a constant struggle for them to see the whole of
> their experiences. Could this also be in part an age related problem or
> complete lack of thinking skill experience?
> Ellen Silverman

---