perspective for 5th grade, thinking or not taught?

---------

From: Ellen Silverman (mcguffsilver_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 07:58:44 PST

What Pattiy said about not knowing basic skill, like how to use a ruler
and read a thermometer, struck a cord with me. I know my students have
been introduced, even drilled on how to use a ruler in math and how to
read a thermometer in science, but they do not get the connection that
these are skills to be used outside of these classes. My students seem
to compartmentalize all their learning, the door shuts on their mind for
those skills that they most relate to one subject or they learned in one
room. I feel I am in a constant struggle for them to see the whole of
their experiences. Could this also be in part an age related problem or
complete lack of thinking skill experience?
Ellen Silverman

---