Re: State Deficits and Opportunity for Charter Virtual Schools...

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 08 2003 - 15:31:19 PST

Larry, I find the concept of a virtual charter school interesting. Has the
government done any research to see if this works? How will they monitor
this to ensure that each child is doing the requirements? I realize this is
probably the wave of the future but I wonder if society is ready at this
point in time.

My own district is approaching budget cuts differently. Last year they
eliminated a non-tenured teacher's position plus cut my own contract by 1/4.
NEA took my case and I won, which reinstated my full time status. While I am
by no means confident that the board will not cut my program again this
coming year they are currently looking at going from a superintendent and 2
principals to 2 administrators total. We are also researching going to a 4
day week, which looks VERY promising from both a financial standpoint as
well as being educationally sound - judging by two nearby district's test
scores.While our governor has promised that the educational budget will not
be affected we all know this won't be true.
~Michal
K-12 Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> In Wisconsin...with a potential 3 billion dollar deficit and the governor
> making his necessary cuts...many schools are having to cut programs,
> staff...and ponder on survival in up and coming years.

---