Video: Mobiles How to Create Them - excellent

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 08 2003 - 10:37:39 PST

I just previewed this video today: "Mobiles How to Create Them" with Tomothy
Rose (Crystal Productions - about 35 minutes long). It was excellent. He
takes you step by step how to create three different types of mobiles and
gives some background information on Calder as well. I recommend this for
middle school thru high school. For middle school, you might want to limit
the kids to just one type (make it easier on yourself too). You could
probably show the whole video to high school --then use it as review as
needed if kids need to see a certain type over again. I would recommend you
watch this video yourself first and do some of the bends right along with
Tim (pause the video as you go along) so you will be more comfortable
demonstrating to kids that need additional help. He uses cardboard and wire
and basic tools (pliers and wire cutters) -- shows how to plan and layout a
design - how to balance and how to attach (including making your own jump
rings). I can see this being done with tooling foil shapes (painted or
colored with permanent markers).

For information on Calder:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/calder.htm

Timothy Rose site: