Re: critiques

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 22:01:51 PST

--- Elizheisey@aol.com wrote:

> I would
> like to find more that my students could read and
> understand...Right now I
> only have T. Wolff. But he had this book with short
> articles that I have used
> and liked. Are there others you (or others folks)
> would recommend?

I have only had them read things from about.com and
webmuseum (oir.????- something with those letters)
and only for research on major art movements.

This is my first year teaching this level (6th grade).
 I have some articles on a few local works from the
paper - it is difficult to find different viewpoints
though. It seems like if someone bothers to write
about it, they're coming from a supportive stance
(unless its extremely controversial...)

Do you know about/have you ever tried aesthetic
puzzles? We brought in articles as part of a class
-(they are called "dilemas" in Games for Teaching
Art)I thought they were really fun - basically you
have to take sides and explain your decision.

My 6th grade students seem to like playing Token
Response. I liked it the first time I played it (in
Grad school.) There's just something interesting
about seeing how people's opinions stack up. Last
semester I handled it on a very personal level and
tracked the changes over the course of the semester,
beginning and end. This semester I dealt with
percentages more (they did the math!) - we looked at
things like "My favorite" doesn't necessarily mean "I
want it in my house." I'm thinking after they get a
better feel for the elements and principles, I'll play
that way. Does best use of ...... mean best.......?

Someone here on ArtsEdNet actually mentioned playing
Token Response based on the EPDs - Best use of line,
and so on. I like the idea.

I hope some good ideas surface on articles for
students -

Dawn