Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

criticism - Bates model

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 20:13:30 PST

I ran accross this in Sandra Alger's - Games for
Teaching Art book I just got. I haven't revisted
Bates in her own words yet, bu thought I'd share the

Motivation- artwork presented and students discuss the
art form, media and techniques used

Identification - Identify the subject matter and name
objects they see

Description - describe elements

Analysis - based on relationships achieved through

Interpretation - attempt to discover meaning in work,
either for viewer, artist, or culture of origin

Evaluation - quality of artworks judged by ranking it
with other like artworks, based on a given set of
criteria (My interpretation is that this is where
aethetic alignment comes in when reading the Alger

all steps do not have to be completed for each
critique; nor do the steps have to be considered in
the order listed

The criteria for evaluation does come from the earlier

Just thought I share another approach - Dawn

Do you Yahoo!?