criticism - Bates model

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 20:13:30 PST

I ran accross this in Sandra Alger's - Games for
Teaching Art book I just got. I haven't revisted
Bates in her own words yet, bu thought I'd share the
summary:

Motivation- artwork presented and students discuss the
art form, media and techniques used

Identification - Identify the subject matter and name
objects they see

Description - describe elements

Analysis - based on relationships achieved through
principles

Interpretation - attempt to discover meaning in work,
either for viewer, artist, or culture of origin

Evaluation - quality of artworks judged by ranking it
with other like artworks, based on a given set of
criteria (My interpretation is that this is where
aethetic alignment comes in when reading the Alger
summary)

all steps do not have to be completed for each
critique; nor do the steps have to be considered in
the order listed

The criteria for evaluation does come from the earlier
steps.

Just thought I share another approach - Dawn