Re: ART PROJECT IDEAS WITH PRESIDENTS??

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 15:01:07 PST

In a message dated 02/03/2003 6:56:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
noracala@optonline.net writes:

> A fifth grade classroom teacher approached me about doing an art project
> with her students. Each student was assigned a president to research. She
> wanted me to incorporate an art project where the students were creating
> something about their chosen president(maybe a portrait, I don't know).
> Does
> anyone have ideas on what I can do? I want to do something that would
> interest the kids. Maybe 3-D Sculpt-A-Mold portraits? Please share any
> thoughts. Thank You.

Here's an idea for "Presidental Sculpture":

I do "Bottle Babies", I call them, because the armature is a two liter
bottle for the body. The head is a styro ball covered with tissues soaked in
art paste (Ross or Pritt). This medium is easily pliable and the kids can
form the features. Or, if your budget allows, use Model Magic over styro
ball. Assign each student a president and have them create a likeness. They
will need a picture and references about their president. Put one layer of
papier mache over the body and paint with tempera. Have them add arms and
hands, simply from construction paper. After they have painted the body, I
give the kids material and felt to embellish the clothing. I give them that
"real hair" stuff you get in the craft store, or glue on yarn. Then, they
make "props" to go with their "Bottle Baby". The props would be something
that distinguishes each president. I actually do this project with 2nd
graders when they learn how to write biographies in their classrooms. Each
student has a famous person to create as a bottle sculpture. The idea can
easily be adapted for a president sculpture, and much easier to execute at
the fifth grade level. The kids LOVE this lesson.
Hope this helps!
Susan on Long Island

---