Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

An Interesting Anti-War Demonstration

From: jude & frank (jgrochowski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 19:32:59 PST

I have been stewing about sending this to the list for the last couple of days, but finally decided that its potential outweighed the irritation of anyone I've upset by posting it here.
(My apologies to those)
  Subject: An Interesting Anti-War Demonstration
> There is a grassroots campaign underway to protest war in lraq in a
> simple, but potentially powerful way. Place 1/2 cup uncooked rice in a
> small plastic bag. Squeeze out excess air and seal the bag. Wrap it in
> of paper on which you have written, "If your enemies are hungry, feed
> (Romans 12:20) Please send this rice to the people of Iraq; do no attack
> them." Place the paper and bag of rice in an envelope and address them to:
> President George Bush, White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
> Washington, DC 20500
> Attach $1.06 in postage. (Three 37-cent stamps equal $1.11) Drop this in
> the mail. It is important to act NOW so that President Bush gets the
> letter, ASAP.
> In order for this protest to be effective, there must be hundreds or
> thousands of such rice deliveries to the White House. We can do
> this if you each forward this message to your friends and family.
> here is a positive history of this protest! In the 1950's, ! the
> of Reconciliation began a similar protest, which is credited with
> influencing President Eisenhower against attacking China. Although the
> President did not acknowledge receipt of the bags publicly, and no rice
> ever sent to China, it was learned a decade later that the campaign played
> a significant, perhaps even determining role in preventing nuclear war.
> Twice while the campaign was on, President Eisenhower met with the Joint
> Chiefs of Staff to consider US options in the conflict with China over two
> islands, Quemoy and Matsu. The generals twice recommended the use of
> nuclear weapons. President Eisenhower each time turned to his aide and
> asked how many little bags of rice had come in. When told the numbers in
> the tens of thousands, Eisenhower told the generals that as long as so
> Americans were expressing active interest in having the US feed the
> he certainly wasn't going to consider using nuclear weapons aga! inst
> Send your rice today!!

  "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

  Martin Luther King Jr.