batik with 1st graders?

---------

From: Jeryl Hollingsworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 15:24:27 PST

I really hate to do this because I know it has been discussed many times, but I can't seem to access the archives and due to an unfortunate (teenager and KAZAZA downloading music) computer accident over Christmas I lost a lot of saved files.....but ANYWAY....we are doing a world fair in March and the first graders are studying Africa. We are just finishing up some really cool animal puppets based on a book called African Animals ABC and I would love to do some kind of simple batik project maybe just using African patterns. (there are really great illustrations in the African Animals with lots of geometric patterns that we could use) What are your experiences with this-use paper or muslin? toothpaste ? hand lotion ?? Any ideas will be great!
            Jeryl in SC

---