Re: Art History Question -amswer?

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 11:58:32 PST

The book I mentioned in my previous post has a ton of info on this sort
of thing (attributes of all the saints). Here's the complete info on
the book: Signs and Symbols in Christian Art, by George Ferguson,
published by Oxford U Press, 1961 (I found it new about 5-6 years ago).
It's essential for wayward or non-Christians in order to understand the
wealth of icons in many Renaissance paintings.

Maggie

dawn stien wrote:

> I think that there is perhaps also something of a
> tradition/formula in how artists go about portraying
> images. Sort of like the saints being depicted with
> certain animals - I just can't remember which ones...

---