Re: plaster carving

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 21:38:53 PST

Mike-

This is my first year in the art classroom and my
first year with middle school students. I spent
almost every night before a new project in a
pertrified state - especially when I do things like
decide to do linoleum cuts even though the former art
teacher said she would never try it with them. In the
second or third class one day when we were using
exacto blades to cut stryofoam, my principal came by
(he does so routinely)- and informed me that if any
blades were missing, to call and they would come down
with a metal detector!

I work in a pretty rough district, but that's not my
point. Ususally I let them know that it's a special
privilege and they typically respond with pride and
excellent behavior. They also know if they can't
handle the artist's tools appropriately, there is an
alternative assignment file...

When I did the plaster project it was amazing to see
how intently even my rowdiest classes worked. There
are also students who excel and understand working in
3D who struggle with all things 2D.

Wether the project is successful or not, students will
appreciate the opportunity, and will have a better
understanding of what goes into "sculpture in the
round.

Dawn

> I've rethought this plaster thing. I think it might
> be a little too tough for
> me right now. I've already been warned that I have
> two potentially bad 8th
> grade classes.

I have a class with 29 boys and 5 girls - they are
many and highly active little souls. I am always
trying to think of what I should do to make this class
more manageable and even a little more fun, because
many of them have the coolest personalities...They
typically are the wrench in my plans though.

Maybe we should solicit tips from artednetters on
activities specially for "bad" classes...

It is awesome to have all of the experience of
experienced teachers at our fingertips...

Good luck