Re: plaster carving

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 20:56:10 PST

Hi Mike. Don't worry about being embarrassed - we've all been there! :-) I
remember hearing when I was student teaching that the first 3 years a
teacher focuses on him/herself. Part of this is you are learning to
establish classroom management, create a curriculum (let's face it, teaching
math out of a math book would be less complicated, but definately not as
fun!), manage supplies, and the zillion other things that only jumping into
the trenches will teach you. Right now focus on teaching to your best
ability, but don't get so bogged down that you neglect to have fun with your
career. I change projects every year - more for my sake than the student's.
Last semester I had my middle school students create their own culture -
government, religion, monetary system, family structure, etc. and then
create art based on their culture. My discipline problems were at their
all-time lowest due to student involvement. :-)
I have my students paint on paper all the time. We tape it onto a board on
all 4 sides of the paper with low-tack masking tape. Gesso, paint, and
remove tape when finished. If you tape it all the way around and not just
tack it down the paper will flatten back out as the gesso dries.
Good luck!
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> It's not just my embarrassment, but I really want the kids to have a good
> experiece. That's why I can't get over this fear of screwing up.
> My problem is I want to try new things, but I'm not sure if I really
have
> taught the previous ones as well as I can yet.
> What do you think. Is it best for a new teacher not to be so concerned
> with curriculum the first year and just try to focus on classroom
procedures
> and management?
> Oh, one more thing. I cannot for the life of me find your email about
> ironing tempera paintings. I remember asking my mentor teacher before she
> left if she ever painted on paper and she said she used canvas board
because
> of the wrinkling and curling. This may be your little secret. I forget how
> involved this is. Can you tell me again, please.

---