Video-- Painting the Town:The Illusionistic Murals of Richard Hass

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 14:06:56 PST

This is my last video review for today. I really enjoyed this one.
Painting the Town:The Illusionistic Murals of Richard Haas (from Direct
Cinema Limited - 56 minutes long)gives biographical information and shows
his strong influence of historical architecture (particularly antique
prints), his training as an architect and his inspiration from architectural
wall painting in Germany and Italy. Following in a tradition dating back to
the ancient Greeks and Romans, Haas uses painted architecture to transform
the brutal geometry of contemporary cityscapes into beautiful glimpses of
the past. The video uses time-lapse photography to demonstrate how the
murals are made. Interviews with people on the street add a nice touch.
While this is 56 minutes long - you can get enough shown in one class period
for students to get the main ideas of his work. (one site to order online
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q37223F43 )

I have Internet resources for Hass for anyone who wishes.

Judy Decker

---