Video review: Paul Gauguin the Savage Dream

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 10:44:02 PST

Paul Gauguin the Savage Dream (from The National Gallery of Art - Home
Vision - 45 minutes) is suitable for high school and beyond. Most of the
images shown are of nude (or partially nude) Tahitian women. It also shows
some of his sculptures and ceramics. I would like to have seen more of his
beautiful Tahitian landscape paintings. The film explores the artist's
obsessive search for a "savage" alternative to his own culture which drove
him to Tahiti and the Marguesas. There are beautiful shots on location in
Tahiti and the Marqueses giving the viewer some idea of what the islands are
like today. The focus is on the final years of his life and for the most
part is told in Gaugins's own words (Donald Sutherland is the voice of
Gauguin) revealing his philosophy of art, life and civilization.
(One source to purchase this video online
http://imageexchange.com/videos/6024.shtml)

I have Internet sources for Gauguin for anyone who request them.

Judy Decker

---