Re: plaster carving

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 08:19:38 PST

> They wrap their ball in newspaper each evening until
> finished to keep the
> plaster slightly damp and in carve-able condition.

I think this is important!! Moisture levels are
significant if they are to carve.

I did this for the first time in Dec.

If they dry out totally, they tend to crumble. If
they are too wet they disintegrate or something. We
poured on a day that it rained in the afternoon. I
missed this tip. The ones we made in the morning
dried altogether - I poured them into cups. The ones
poured in the afternoon never quite dried and most
became heaps of mess. There seems to be a narrow
margin for success. The students all had fun
regardless.

I used $ store wood carving tools - the students felt
more like artists - they will rust though, I learned
to have the kids wipe them with towels, not wash them
in the sink. They did details with toothpicks and
paper clips. The first day we used popsickle stick-
they're fine too.

You mentioned Henry Moore-
I have heard/read about a method of pouring the
plaster into zip-loc bags and shaping them as the
plater hardens. I think this would be cool.

Bunki's ball idea is cool.

I used cups and milk cartons. I'm not sure why, but
the students who did the square milk carton ones came
up with much more intersting forms.

I was thinking of doing it again with my new group and
showing them Brancusi's "The Kiss" - I haven't decided
wether or not to push my luck. My new group of
students has been handling cow udders naked baby Jesus
quite well.

Good Luck - Dawn