Re: Using Art for Discipline

---------

From: Janice Keenan (jekteachme_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 20:04:32 PST

I can't tell you how many times in the 15 years I've
been teaching that this has been a problem for
me..student's not showing up for art because of their
homeroom teacher keeping them to finish work or they
were being punished. I finally, this year, put my foot
down. If a student does not show up within 10 minutes
I send a note to the teacher to find out where this
student is. If the response is that they are being
kept in the class for whatever reason..I send another
note...not nasty but clearly stating that please send
them to art class for they are having important class
work that they cannot miss. It ususally gets the
message across. If they do not send the student I have
talked with the teacher personally to let them know
that art in elementary meets only ONCE a week and it
is crucial that they do not miss it. I have to give
them a grade every week! Even the counselor tried to
pull out her group half way through art class today
and I would not let them go telling her the same
thing...I meet with my students 10 times a grading
period and they cannot afford to miss any
lessons....it has really made a difference this year.
I sent out a memo to the teachers (with approval from
the principal) in the beginning of the year that ALL
students are required to have art and not to hold them
back from coming to art for whatever reason. You have
to be consistent in getting your message across. Even
in this day and age many teachers still believe that
art is a frill activity and it is there for them to
have their planning time. You really have to get the
message across!
  Jan in Miami