Re: Gallery Hop?/Sandy - long

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 18:56:19 PST

> Sandy, this gallery hop sounds very interesting. Please expound on
> it. Who purchases what and when and where is this done?
> Susan on Long Island ---

Susan,

It's fun, but a lot of work. I portfolio a lot of the kids' work and
keep it until March/April, when the Gallery Hop is scheduled. It's an
art show and parents, grandparents, and friends are invited. This was
something that started before I was there, but I have changed and
expanded it a little. (You would think I would learn to leave things
the h*** alone!) and, I'm about to add a new twist this year still....

Each child has at least one (always end up with more!) piece which is
neatly mounted with a border. I finally have kids pretty much doing all
of their own mounting now, except for a few pieces like the foil
nameplates, which I will float mount on black matboard that I cut.
Every child that participated in the PTA Reflections Program will have
their artwork displayed and will have a beautiful ribbon attached to
it. All this stuff gets hung in the gym/cafeteria on the walls, on
large chicken wire display screens, in the hallways, in the art room,
all over the place. Each display has an explanation of what the project
was about and how it was done. I usually include the artists' prints
that I have used to introduce lesson, artist info, copies of the book
covers, or the actual books used, etc. This helps the parents tie what
they have seen in the newsletters that I send home to their kids' art
work on display.

The PTA helps me hang all this jazz. They also provide punch and
cookies, and mood music the evening of!

My principal, the year I started was also her first year, decided that
she wanted student art work to hang permanently (ya gotta love her!) in
the school's hallways. As if selecting a child's piece isn't big deal
enough, she made up her mind (I couldn't talk her out of it) to pay each
child whose work she dhooses, gosh, I think it is twenty dollars, may be
twenty-five! What's funny, is that I have never heard, nor have I ever
been asked about the principal buying artwork!!! Never a question, or
comment from kids or parents! Go figure.

This year, and I got this idea about raising money from another teacher
in my district, I'm going to have the kids put a tag on their pieces
with a price indicated, or NFS, or "for Mom only." This will be for the
general public; the principal will go through and make her picks first
and label them NFS. My friend has her kids price their work, for
example, fourth grade the highest ticket is four bucks, and the third
grade is three bucks, etc. I don't know how to do this yet...still
working on a price scale. Then the money we raise will go to help
rebuild schools for Afghanistan children.

Also, the theme this year for the outside reading program (collect
points and redeem for Pizza Hut coupons) is Fashion Through the Ages.
Well, I just happen to have a few eager first graders ready to wear at
the Hop their cave jewelry they made out of model magic ! The kinders
will wear paper Egyptian pectorals. I'm going to see if I can get my
second and third grade parents to send in old sheets so these guys can
wear Greecian togas.

And, my fourth graders will take turns manning a station to show off
Queen Cluckopatra and King Cluck and explain the process, like a little
demonstration, reenactment.

So, that's it, not so much in a nutshell! I was told before I got
there, the last art teacher put all the lunch tables down and spread the
kids' artwork out on them and that was it. Mabye she had the right
idea!

Sandy

---