Kinder Art - Mrs. Turtle2

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 18:21:29 PST

I know...some people are just...dorks, as my daughter would say!

This project sounds really neat. I have been looking for good
kindergarten work. How did you do this? ---

I used pieces of the art paper that most teachers use for bulletin
boards (but it comes out of my budget!) and started with one big blobby
scoop shape (to resemble ice cream), then ascending smaller blobs 'til
the red cherry shape on top (don't forget the stem!). I used all the
primary and secondary colors. I laid these on the tables in the art
room and when the kids came in, talked about colors, showed the the
words written in the correct color, talked about primary and secondary,
then showed them geometric shapes and asked them what color they were,
primary or secondary. Of course, these arty smarties knew the shapes,
too, so we took a little break, stood up and did the arty smartie
dance! While they were dancing, I handed them a bag of cut up pieces
of different types of colored paper, fabric, feathers, pompoms, buttons,
sequens, yarn, magazine pictures (like fruit pieces), fake fur, broken
crayons (look like jimmies) silk flowers, all that kind of stuff! I
asked them to make their rounds to the different tables and match the
things in their bags to the right color of ice cream. Well, squeals of
delight! In addition to the big blobs, there were glue bottles and
paper towels for wiping off excess glue. I demonstrated by making a
mistake and using too much glue, not a "little dab will do!" Of course,
they love it when I make mistakes.

Each child had about 20 things, or so, in their bags. They all finished
about the same time. I had color books on the floor to look at while
they waited for the others to finish.

We then had to come up with some VERY YUMMY COLORS, for example, "lip
lickin', lemon yellow." I wrote the names, sometimes we had to vote
because there were some really interesting suggestions, and after school
that day, I stacked them in a bowl shape which went from floor to
ceiling, stuck in a spoon handle, tacked up the ice cream flavor names,
and entitled it, "Kinders Scoop Up Some Yummy Colors in Art Class!"

If I had had more time, we would have mixed real ice cream to make new
colors and had a feast!

Hope this helps, this is a fun one!

Sandy

---