Mondrian

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 17:17:10 PST

I have two lessons I use. The first is very easy and I use it with first
graders at the beginning of the year when we are learning about primary
colors and lines. We look at a large print of one of the straight black
line/primary colors works of Mondrian and discuss. I give out pre-cut
strips of black paper cut in different lengths and widths. These are
glued down vertically and horizontally and then they can color in up to
4 spaces with the primary colors using markers. You can cover a lot of
ground-how to use glue, lines, primary colors, shapes, etc...
The other lesson I use with third grade and is more involved. We study
and compare Mondrian and Kandinsky and then the students choose which
artist they would like to paint like. The Mondrian kids use rulers to
draw in their straight lines and then paint in shapes with primary
colors. While we are studying Kandinskky I give out a different
Kandinsky print to each table group of 4 kids. They get 10 minutes to
list all the colors as they see and draw all the shapes they see-the
groups work together and make one list. Then we play a game where I go
around the rooom calling on one table at a time to give me a color. I
list it on the board and if you have that color on your paper you have
to cross it off. The last table to have a color that no one else has
named is the winner. You can do the same with the shapes but let a group
member come up and draw the shape. Its great for getting into a
discussion about all the shades and tints and names for colors ex..light
blue, pearl, bright orange. (of course you have to get rid of the
writing utensils when the game begins or they get smart fast and start
adding to their lists) This game format is a good way to study artists
without the students complaining ..."when are we going to do
something?"-which is what I used to hear when we did anything except
make art.
          Jeryl in SC

---