Re: lotteries and education

---------

From: Retha Wilkins (RWilkin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 10:38:54 PST

Well, of course what we are experiencing here in SC is that the
money is intended for scholarships. None of it is intended for the
public schools. Unfortunately people who voted for the lottery also
voted out some of the taxes that supported our schools thinking
(because they dont' listen or read) that the lottery would take the
place of those monies. So here we are hurting big time and our
legislature just finalized the vote on the disbursement of the money
and still refused to put any of it into the public schools except for
school buses. . So I ask. What good are scholarships to students
who cannot qualify for them because the public schools are being
strangled?
Reatha