Re: Using art as discipline.

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 09:50:26 PST

 In my first week as an art teacher (7 years ago), the speech therapist came in and took a fifth grader for some sort of speech session. The same time the next week she came back for the same fifth grader. (art met once per week) She said it was the only time available each week for her to see this child. I asked her to leave the child in the classroom this time, and we would discuss it later. After class I went to the principal with my story. The three of us then had a meeting and the principal told her that her schedule would have to be changed so that this student wouldn't miss art every week. While speech is ordered by the student's PPT, missing art is not. He said that while speech was important, it was not MORE important than art. She was ticked off, maybe because her schedule was less convenient, but mostly because she dug in her heels and lost to a newby teacher. She was assigned to another building later that year, much to my relief, but now I've moved-you guessed i!
t-to her building again. She is pleasant enough, but things are still chilly between us.
Oh well,
Mark