lotteries and education

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 07:52:12 PST

The Governor of NC is pushing for a lottery with the funds supposedly to go
to education. I am curious to know how this has worked for those of you in
states like Virginia, South Carolina, and others. I'm not looking for a
moral debate here, but information on how and if it works. I have heard that
in some states funding has actually been cut "because the lottery will cover
it." I've also heard that it takes 5 years for there to be enough money to
help the schools.

Please respond with your experiences. Thanks. Linda in NC

---