RE: Weaving help needed!

---------

From: Amy Helton (AmyHelton_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 06:23:26 PST

The thickness of the yarn can sometimes affect the weaving. With elem kids
I use the thicker, almost rug wool which works well with the harrisville
small peg looms, or any handmade loom. To help with the tightness, and
probably the "girdle effect" you need to watch carefully when you put the
yarn through to not pull it too tight, let in go in at an angle and then
pack it down. The warps are probably showing as you are pulling to tight
and the yarn can not go over the warp to cover it.
If you do have your weaving right up to the edge you can just pull it off
and it will stay. I have my students do a row of twining at the beginning
and end of every weaving, this keeps the yarns from coming undone and
creates a good binding.
Let me know if I can help with other weaving problems.
Amy