Re: shrinky-dinky, polyshrinky question.....

---------

From: linda (lwoods_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2002 - 04:49:56 PST

I also do an Egyptian project with shrink art. I have the kids draw the
outline of a sarcophagus case, about 4 inches tall, but in proportion.
The shape is fairly simple...headpiece/hair, shoulder outline, tapering
sides, and some sort of pedestal base. They begin on paper...folded in
half to draw the figure. THen they design, still on paper. The design
has to have detailed hair/headpiece, egyptian style eyes and face,
neckbands with pattern, an area of hieroglyphics that must spell out
something, and then the remainder of the case is divided up into
symmetrical (one each side) interesting areas of design that include
symbols (such as the lotus blossom, eye of horus, ankh, scarab, etc.) Once
the paper design is complete, they lay the shrink art sheet on top of the
paper, tape it so it won't slip, and then they trace it off in ultrafine
sharpies, followed by colored pencils. THen they add touches of gold or
silver paint pen...dots, stripes, etc. You can see them on our website,
www.sjs.org. Once you enter the website, click on the words on the right
side that say "student art projects". You will see one picture of these
on that page when it opens...third grade work. NOW THE OVEN PART: I bake
them at 300 in the oven on a cookie sheet. THe sheet can be either teflon
or aluminum. They curl up and do "sit ups or yoga" as the kids say. Then
they flatten out after a few minutes. Occasionally I have to push them
down with a mit, but usually they flatten out on their own. Occasionally
they will flip over to the other side to finish flattening. It doesn't
matter if they flip over except for the gold paint pen...it gets on the
cookie sheet and you can't scrub the pen off. The pieces are stuck for a
minute or two til they cool, then they pop right off with a little
pressure. Since I am using gold on these, I sometimes have to quickly
rescue a flipped over one and put it right side up again. I usually do
this RIGHT BEFORE IT FLIPS. Once again, if you don't have gold on it,
don't worry if it flips...it will come off later. I have also done
another project where they made funky figures with attached legs and arms
later. We punched holes in the legs and arms and body with a tiny hole
punch. The parts were baked separately and attached later with jewelry
head pins and beads. The legs and arms swung freely and they were
precious.

---