Re: Using art as discipline.

---------

From: Retha Wilkins (RWilkin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 07:28:34 PST

> Ok, all you wise art colleagues, I am asking for your sage advice.
> What is your opinion regarding classrom teachers who remove kids from
> art class for either behavior issues or to finish other classroom
> work? It's not permitted at my school, but teachers still do it. I
> travel to the classrooms and find it very difficult to deal with staff
> who do this. I feel very strongly that this should not happen, but
> wish to keep a peaceful work environment, too. How do you handle this?
> judy

If it is against policy at your school, do not allow it. You say that you
want to maintain a peaceful work environment. Is that for you or
them? Right now you are creating a peaceful work environment for
them. They do as they please---you dont' give them any grief. If
they are taking an inch to day, it will be foot tomorrow and yard by
the end of the week. Put your foot down now. You have your job to
do and they are interfering. Trust me it well be lot more peaceful in
the long run when they realize that you cannot be walked on.
Reatha

> ---
> leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu

Reatha Wilkins