Re: Using art as discipline.

---------

From: linda (lwoods_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 05:07:21 PST

I teach at elementary level. Most of the time my kids work really hard on
their projects, but occasionally I will have a child who plays around too
much, no matter what I say or do. In that event, I give the child an
option...work like you mean it, or visit during your recess time to be
able to get your work done then. Usually they snap right back to working
diligently, but occasionally I have asked for the child to come in at
recess time, and teachers are ok with this. It makes sens to me...if they
can't work when they are supposed to, they should give up something they
want to do in order to make it up. A different situation is the art
wonder-child who draws an incredibly detailed picture and needs more time
than the average child to finish. In that case, I have given children
materials to take home to finish over a week's duration, or I have opted
to let them choose between taking it home, coming in at recess, or after
school. (I have tutorial days on Thursday and Friday afternoons for
anyone who needs it for projects only.) I would not ever dream of asking
to have a child removed from math to do artwork, etc. LIkewise, other
teachers in my school respect children's class times in art and would not
ever ask to have a child removed from art. Since it's nearly everyone's
favorite subject, most field trips are even scheduled so as not to disturb
their art time!
Linda

---