RE: Using art as discipline.

---------

From: Kirstie Hein (kirhein_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Feb 27 2002 - 03:32:37 PST

Judy-

This has happened to me more times than I can count. I
have even had teachers send their kids who had to miss their art with another
class to make up their art time! Talk about making me crazy. I
have told the teacher/s who were practicing this that #1, art is only had
in my system once every two weeks, and #2, I am between two schools, see about
800 kids, have to attempt to be an organizational genius, and it is driving me
crazy! But that's a whole different strand. Just say it is school
policy. Stickup for yourself and your program. Worse comes to worse,
talk to your principal.

kirstie

Ok, all you wise
art colleagues, I am asking for your sage advice. What is your opinion regarding
classrom teachers who remove kids from art class for either behavior
issues or to finish other classroom work? It's not permitted at my school, but
teachers still do it. I travel to the classrooms and find it very difficult to
deal with staff who do this. I feel very strongly that this should not happen,
but wish to keep a peaceful work environment, too. How do you handle this?
judy ---
kirhein@earthlink.net
leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu

---