Re: Using art as discipline.

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 18:45:21 PST

I do have some of that problem but in our district at high school level,
Fine Art is required to graduate. Most teachers are "floored" that we
even have tutorials in art. When I talk to the teacher, I ask them when
their next test is. Then I ask if I can have that student during that
test. The responses are, you shouldn't take a student out of another
class for that. I respond, when we do studio work the students are
working on a test. Anothert thing that helps, but in a bad way, is
showing a student failing because they have been pulled too much and have
not come during tutoria times to make up the work.

The ones I like are the coaches, " How do you fail art". I respond, "How
do you fail football" Duh! - by not during anything. Oh! I could go on
and on and on and on and on .

Jackie Aust
Bryan Texas
austart@bryanisd.org