Re: Using art as discipline.

---------

lin_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 17:45:02 PST

This is always a problem. I've learned to deal with it, but I truly hate
it. It always seems to be the kids that need art the most! I try and
tactfully explain why it's a problem and ask if there is another time
that they could schedule the activity. I've even gone so far as to go to
the teacher and ask when the child can make up the lost time in art.
That usually wakes up the teacher. However, there will always be
teachers that just don't get it.

When the time seem right, you should bring the problem up with your
principal and ask for advice.

Lin

On Tuesday, February 26, 2002, at 07:28 PM, Heyjude5270@aol.com wrote:

> Ok, all you wise art colleagues, I am asking for your sage advice. What
> is your opinion regarding classrom teachers who remove kids from  art
> class for either behavior issues or to finish other classroom work?
> It's not permitted at my school, but teachers still do it. I travel to
> the classrooms and find it very difficult to deal with staff who do
> this. I feel very strongly that this should not happen, but wish to
> keep a peaceful work environment, too. How do you handle this? judy  ---
> artsednet-6961B@lists.getty.edu

---