PA Governer's School - Advice for students?

---------

From: Beth Goodwin (bgood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 13:40:58 PST

I have two students who will be in the second round of consideration for Governer's School. This is my first year at the high school and I'm not familiar enough with it to know what they need now. The teacher who was here before only did shaded pencil drawings, styrofoam sculpture, copper relief on wood plaques, and lineolum block (peace signs, logos, etc.), so they don't have an extensive portfolio. Everything good they had already went in for the first round. They also both have a pastel still life (one of them already submitted that), an acrylic self-portrait, a collage in response to Sept. 11th attacks (which I don't think either of them sent in) , and a 2-point perspective building in water color so far this year. I guess they've been told to bring more things for the second interview - especially 3-D one of them told me. I can let them work during class this month to get done what they will need. ONe of them wants to do a ceramic sculture and I also suggested a bas relief sculpture in wood and metal. ?? I' m not sure how to advise them and would welcome any suggestions. They are both talented and bright students who will work very hard to complete what they need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Beth

---