Re: grants (more info)

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 10:24:30 PST

Our district is totally PC now... so everything I'm receiving is for PC

I received the graphics tablet and Painter from "The Foundation for
Excellence" a group within our district supported by local community
leaders. One of the things I had to do was talk about the grant I received
at one of their luncheons.... well... nobody bothered to tell me that
EVERYBODY was going to be there. The Superintendent, the school board and
every executive in town... You could have killed me right then and there and
I would have been happy! :) but I survived...

The grant I just received confirmation on yesterday (oral--written is
coming) was from our Instructional Technology dept. The district passed a
bond several years ago to increase the level of tech. in our schools. You
have to take classes and pass tests to qualify for the materials. Well, once
you finish you can apply for a grant for anything you want in the way of
technology. Through these classes I had already received a computer (Level
I), a printer (Level IIa) and a digital television to hook to the
computer(Level IIB)... so after finishing Level III, I asked for a digital
camera, digital video camera, bigger hard-drive, cd-burner, more memory,
fire-wire card, batteries, etc...

Will be receiving a new computer instead of upgrading the old one, plus my
big toys... just downgrading my video editing software and I'll receive
"hand-m-downs" of Photoshop from the junior high... (Photoshop 5 instead of
6)

I've applied for national grants without any success, but have received
every local grant I've applied for... building slower that way, but is still
fun!

I'll be sure to let you all know when I get my new toys.

By the way... Painter 7 is WAY cool... able to digitally duplicate almost
all two-dimensional art media. The best is using a wet watercolor brush and
watching the paint bleed across the computer screen!

Donald Peters
Lubbock, TX