Re: WHO IS TEACHING ART HISTORY/book

---------

From: linda (lwoods_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 05:06:51 PST

we have an art enrichment program in my school that is staffed by about 50
volunteers for 4 grade levels. The other art teacher and I, along with
the history teachers, determine curriculum content. When we need new
lessons, the art teacher and I find the artwork we want them to use, guide
them towards material to help them write their program, and the groups of
moms (3 per lesson) write their own curriculum with our guidance. The
computer tech person has volunteered to teach them all how to create
powerpoint lessons. THe lessons are presented in the history classes as
support for their curriculum. THis is an awesome and very popular program
at my school. We have been doing this for about ten years now. I would
suggest that you start with only one or two grade levels if you start a
program in your school. We started with four grade levels the first year,
and while it worked, it nearly killed us!!! We have a small room in the
school dedicated to housing all of our books and videos and posters, etc.
We initially bought our program from St. Francis School in Houston, who
piloted this program. In the years since, we have changed almost all of
the curriculum to meet our individual needs. We write a few new programs
every year.

---