Re: Metal Repousse with 4th Graders

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Feb 25 2002 - 20:26:58 PST

Jodi,

I just did Egyptian door plates with 4th graders. They tooled hieroglyphics or
ancient symbols like ankhs onto the metal after designing their plate on paper.
I initially wanted them to make a cartouche, but one of the kids pointed out a
door plate in the Ancient Egypt Eyewitness Book...I love it when they see things
that they want to try, so we did. They painted with black tempera and some
students used steel wool and others used green scotchbrite scrubby pads. They
turned out great. The kids used the eraser end of the pencil to emboss the
designs. I also made sure they had padding underneath so the surface would have
a little give...not too much or there is always the danger of poking a hole in
the foil.

Sandy

---